Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:41:21 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
To:        thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes on 3.1

En un mensaje anterior, Herbelot Thierry escribió:
[...]
> I would use a MUCH larger /usr (in part because I store there /usr/src
> which is ~ 250 Megs and /usr/obj which is also ~ 250 Megs - for 3.1)

How much does it take your whole /usr under 3.1?

> A separate /tmp partition is probably not necessary : you could enlarge
> your swap partition and use it as a MFS (memory file system) mounted
> under /tmp

Maybe a good idea: /tmp gets smaller as system needs more swap? If you
add a file to swap over it, does it count on /tmp also?

> More generally, if you have many partitions, it's easy to have at least
> one of them not large enough, and there is not "partition magic" tool
> for FreeBSD - so I personnaly have only /, /var and /usr (plus swap),
> wiht he sizes automatically computed by the install program.

True, but remember that you buy security by mounting /home, /data and
/tmp as noexec.

Thanks and regards!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red