Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:47:57 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
Cc:        amd64 freebsd <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Partitions

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:30:08PM +0100, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2003 05:50, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> > Do I really need a 4gb swap partition/slice?
> > I have 4gb ram.
>
> 8 is suggested, no? Certainly if you've got a 220G drive, you can afford that?
> The story is sort of this: the VM is optimized for the situation that there's
> twice as much swap as memory.

I'm not aware that was ever the case, and if it was in 4.3BSD, I don't
think that is the case in 5-FreeBSD.  Unless a vm hacker tells me
otherwise, I think 1.1 times RAM is a sufficient rule with one has 4-8GB
RAM and no other reason to believe on needs more swap.  1.1 times is the
space for crashdumps, and the need for that has already been told.