Date:      30 Jul 2002 08:55:52 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User auth through database

Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com> writes:

> 	Hi again.  Quick question.  Is there a port, or a good tutorial
> guide on how to setup a server so that users can get mail but not
> actually have a legitimate shell account on the server.  I only want three
> actual accounts that can login to the machine through sell and the
> console, but I want Qpopper to treat the users as though they actually
> had a shell account on the machine.

What you want to do is definitely doable but it may come down to the
MTA that you use. I use exim with vmail-sql
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/vmail-sql/

It also lets you do very cool things with hosting multiple domains on
a single machine.

HTH.

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    Everything to excess. To enjoy the flavour of