Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:04:09 +0100
From:      "cameron grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "tag" <tag@blisted.org>, <multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pcm a total mess..

> Howdy, I just upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4 and I have run into a bit
> of a problem, my sound has totally quit on me.  The sound device I am
> using is an onboard CMI 8330 chip, using the pcm drivers (just as I did
> with 4.2, which worked beautifully).  Heres what the dmesg has to say
> about it.
>
>  pcm0: <CMI8330> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38f irq 11 drq 0 on isa0

replying directly to you, i get:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to all of its recipients. The
following address(es) failed:

  tag@blisted.org:
    all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts:
    it appears that the DNS operator for this domain has installed an
invalid MX record with an IP address instead of a domain name on the right
hand side

my response was:

did 4.2 also identify it as a cmi8330?

are any other devices using irq 11?

if you try to play whilst running 'systat -vm 1' do you see any pcm0 irqs
happening?

can you narrow down the time period in which it stopped working by trying a
4.3 kernel with your 4.4 world?  the more you can narrow it down the less
changes i need to investigate and thus the greater the chance of a fix.

i don't have a cmi8330 and as far as i know none of the other people
involved with pcm do.  is there any chance that you could contribute one for
testing?

    -cg