Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:07:51 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Questions@BSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving a server on all day

On Jun 8, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Hopefully I'll get my flat screen back soon from repair.  I guess
> those use
> less power, right?  Also, a 1.8GHz Athlon won't use any more power than
> necessary during idle time, right?

Yes, a flat screen typically uses about 50W; a big CRT might use 100 to
150W.

AMD processors now have fairly good thermal behavior when they are
idle, although it obviously helps if one can enable APCI and power
management capabilities to either throttle down the CPU speed or even
go into sleep mode.

--
-Chuck