Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2018 01:24:54 +0000
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How To Update From 9.1?

I've got an old system I'm trying to get current.

# uname -a
FreeBSD vm.mykitchentable.net 9.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Tue=
 May  9 09:19:33 PDT 2017     drew@vm.mykitchentable.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/s=
ys/GENERIC  amd64

So I consult the handbook and various list posts and find that I should be =
able to use freebsd-update.  Specifically I've done:

---BEGIN---

# freebsd-update fetch install
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching public key from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... don=
e.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Fetching 5 files... done.

The following files will be added as part of updating to 9.1-RELEASE-p24:
/usr/src/contrib/bind9/lib/isc/counter.c
/usr/src/contrib/bind9/lib/isc/include/isc/counter.h
/usr/src/contrib/tzdata/leap-seconds.list
/usr/src/contrib/tzdata/zone1970.tab
/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/s3_cbc.c

WARNING: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
Any security issues discovered after Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 PST 2014
will not have been corrected.

---END---

And then trying to upgrade incrementally, I'm starting with 9.3-RELEASE.

---BEGIN---
# freebsd-update -r 9.3-RELEASE upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... don=
e.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
src/src

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 9.3-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... don=
e.
Fetching metadata index... done.

The update metadata is correctly signed, but
failed an integrity check.
Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.

---END---

I've tried deleting /var/db/freebsd-update and doing the 'fetch install' ov=
er.  I've tried deleting /usr/src and downloading a new copy of 9.3 source =
code.

Overall, I really don't know what I need to do as I've never done a binary =
update before.  I don't even know if 'src/src' looks reasonable but I thoug=
ht I'd give it a try.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'd app=
reciate the nudge.

Cheers,

Drew

Like card tricks?
Visit the Alchemist's Warehouse to learn card magic secrets for free!

http://alchemistswarehouse.com