Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:10:27 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm$Bxr(Bgrav))
Cc:        Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Help running 'make release' w/ r/o CVSROOT

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:16:16 +0200
des@des.no (Dag-Erling Sm$Bxr(Bgrav) wrote:
> "Scott R. Sewall" <sewall@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > My CVS repository does not have the file val-tags.  I also don't see
> > this file on the web interface
> > to the CVS repository at freebsd.org.  How is this file created?
>
> It is created by cvs and updated every time you use a tag with -r or
> -j which isn't already listed in val-tags.  It's a major PITA, but you
> can fairly easily disable it by adding a return statement right after
> the syntax checks in tag_check_valid() (i.e. somewhere around line
> 1212) in src/contrib/cvs/src/tag.c.
>
> Another solution would be to distribute repoman's val-tags along with
> the rest of the repo, but for some reason val-tags in on cvsup's
> exclude list.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm$Bxr(Bgrav - des@des.no

Could val-tags distributed then, as I see the following:

% ls -l /somewhere../[onf]bsd/CVSROOT/val-tags
-rw-r--r--  1 horio  horio    665 Aug 23 13:15 /somewhere../cvs/fbsd/CVSROOT/val-tags
-rw-r--r--  1 horio  horio   7877 Sep 17 02:09 /somewhere../cvs/nbsd/CVSROOT/val-tags
-rw-r--r--  1 horio  horio  10058 Sep 17 05:35 /somewhere../cvs/obsd/CVSROOT/val-tags
%

which are cvsupped on a freebsd machine with freebsd version of cvsup, so distributing
val-tags should not be difficult..

horio shoichi