Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:49:59 -0600
From:      Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ppp -auto -alias demand

I have FreeBSD 2.2.5 running on a 486-66 unit and so far so good!

I followed the tutorials on the website and edited the necessary
files to get ppp running as my gateway for Win95 workstations.
Again, so far so good. But when I type this command:

	ppp -auto -alias demand

I see the following message:

	Can't open socket 3000: No password in ppp.secret

This is followed by three more messages which basically say the
same thing about ppp.secret. I have not edited my ppp.secret.sample
file in anyway, nor have I created a ppp.secret file.

In any case, the darn thing works anyway! I can enter dial, and off
it goes and connects with my ISP, or just launch one of the browsers
and bingo, it dials up and connects and I'm off. Are these error
messages important? How can I stop them from appearing? And
where can I find info on how to edit ppp.secret?