Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:41:39 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question abot linux emulation in general

On Thursday 16 August 2001 19:11, David Banning wrote:
> I am interested in doing some video editing, and after doing some
> research have found out about broadcast 2000, which runs under Linux.
>
> I downloaded the binary, which kind of runs but has some problems,
> and I downloaded the source, but the compile erred after the first
> few seconds.

See if there's a port.

> So here is my question;
>
> Can freebsd run everything that runs under linux?

No.  Most things work but really nasty grungy stuff won't, and a few common
function calls don't work, but they are usually harmless.

> If not what are the limitations?

Hmmm . . . try freebsd doc . . . www.freebsd.org.  I know it's discussed some
in there.  Google is your friend, too, no doubt.

> Given my situation, is it worth my time

Almost certainly there is hope.  Even grungy things like vmware work under
emulation.

> to try and get the binary going, or try and compile the source,
> or is there just some packages in which you are out luck trying to run?

It's an emulator (actually, it's a  kernel compatibility library but let's
not get picky).  It'll never be exactly the same; and Linux is a moving
target.

But if a program works broadly across Linux distributions and versions, it'll
almost always work under FreeBSD as well.  If it only works with the xyzzy
distribution version 3.14 with the RoseBud patches, then it will almost
certianly fail under FreeBSD's Linux emulation.

Some software won't find FreeBSD's emluation compatible enough, but you can
install a *real* Linux distribution and point the compatibility library to
that.  On my old box I had a real Linux install and FreeBSD; instead of using
the usual /usr/compat/linux/lib directory, I ditched that library and made it
a symlink to the the actual /lib in my real Linux partition.  This fixed up
some things that failed under emulation.

(In particular, it allowed SAS for Linux to run under FreeBSD.  I work for
SAS and this was a prerelease; it was also FreeBSD 4.2.  I'm not sure if the
released version of SAS for Linux needs this workaround under recent FreeBSD
or not.)

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)