Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:17:59 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, nwestfal@directvinternet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
>> > Well, that and Dave Hayes pype, poking it with a stick any time
>> > it looked to be settling down, just for the sheer joy Dave
>> > gets from being a luddite
>>
>> I'm a luddite if I suggest people grow up and learn to tune out
>> the bad apples? Astounding.
>
> No, you are a Luddite if you suggest elevation of individual
> rights over those of the group, to a point which would result
> in the desctruction of the group AND the group whose destruction
> is under discussion is one which promotes technological change.

Arbitrary critera to be sure.

BTW, I'm not suggesting nor have I ever suggested anything about
individual vs group rights. Those aren't really the issue here on a
mailing list. The real issue, which you dodge daily, is the maturity
level it takes to ignore something you don't like. You won't address
this because it is in the realm of emotion, psychology, and
spirituality...fields with which you are most empirically unfamiliar
with despite your assertions that these can be reduced to simple
mathematical problems.

>> > and making people waste effort
>>
>> I'm glad I have that much power over you.
>
> Of course you are.

I can see you missed the sarcasm. ;)

> It is your nature to seek such power

Hardly. My nature is to point out the foolish, like writing some large
bevy of software just to do what your mind could do in milliseconds.

>> > Luckily, this thread has not taken a lot of attention or time to
>> > type, from my perspective; since it's started, I've also written
>> > about 13,000 lines of code.
>>
>> No one said you should be waiting by your mailbox for the next
>> round. I daresay most of us have gotten work done in parallel
>> with this entire debacle.
>
> I daresay that the debacle is some people's idea of "work product".

Why is this relevant?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"That's the trouble," said William.  "People doing the
world's work.  Now I believe in letting the world do its own
work.  Noninterference.  No management.  No exhortations.
No demands that other folk be the same as we are.  No
arrogance.  No pushing.  Why is a man born?  To find
himself, not to find others."
                     - Taylor Caldwell, The Sound of Thunder