Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:01:46 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, lioux@uol.com.br
Subject:   Re: How stable is the ATA code?

Warner Losh had the audacity to say:
> In message <200004051730.NAA02597@server.baldwin.cx> John Baldwin writes:
> : Perhaps the 82C586x is the problem child?  Note that the -B chip is the power
> : management chip. :)
>
> So are you having problems?  It may also be FIC mobo, of which we've
> had such glowing reviews of late (after glow from being roasted :-).

The original point was that the troubles weren't necessarily
chipset-specific or mobo specific. There is probably some code that
needs to be dealt with. I have never had trouble with my FIC mobo at
all. I keep my primary ata channel dedicated to the hd, and my second
is used for cdroms and whatever other device I connect to the bus. If
you are connecting four devices to your IDE bus and maxing it out that
may be causing trouble. I never really recommend more than one UDMA hard
drive on a channel due to performance concerns, and also that sometimes
masters don't get along with their slaves. Of course, this shouldn't
cause problems, but who knows?

--cokane