Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 19:10:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty Jr.)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Act Now !

> Voice is just one data type. One incurs far more bandwith with
> downloading images, files, etc...

FTP considered harmful?  ;^)

> By far the worst Internet polluter has got to be those zillions
> of Win95 users and AT&T now providing Internet services.

Let us not forget AhOLe, my dear Mr. Hasty.

> One would hope that if AT&T is going to provide Internet Services that
> they can also support their own infrastructure which happens to support
> much of the Internet backbone infra structure.

Or at least be sure to route packets over their network as much as
possible.  I don't know how they'd accomplish this, perhaps with
the new OMATTPF routing protocol (Open Most-AT&T Path First).  ;^)

Like Dr. Frakensteins creation, the Internet is growing in ways
the "parents" could not have forseen, some good, some bad.  I'm
still very undecided about the growth of the net in the last 2 or
3 years; while the traffic has gone up tremendously, the useful
content seems to have diminished.  The net in 1992, creeping from
56K to T1 backbone links, was more useful to me than the current
high-falutin' mess we've got now.

> The Internet is not a real-time delivery network any attempt to
> massively use it as such will just simply fail. People can tolerate
> slight delays on ftp packets, or downloading images but when it
> comes to sound and to a lesser extent live video they get quickly
> irritated.

Slight delays!  Would you believe 1:39 to ftp the latest GNU Emacs
from Gatekeeper!  1.64 Kbytes/s on a T1 connection, what a crock!
I HATE FRIDAY AFTERNOONS ON THE INTERNET!  ARGH!  YOU STUPID KIDS
ALL GO HOME AND WATCH MTV AND GET OFF THE NET!

Ahem.  Sorry, I've regained my composure now.  ;^)

Yes, from the lofty perspective of 4 months in the televsion
broadcasting routing and control industry, I can affirm that "the
internet" as a whole has no idea of what bandwidth *really* is.
We build switching matrices in the 1000x1000x20 range, with each
path carrying video + timecode, and could do more.  Compare that
to the bandwidth of your average Cisco router.  Phone company
switches are *much* more impressive, especially the much-vaunted
#5 ESS.  Packet routing is not going to replace *any* of this, it
incurs too much overhead.

The real sluggishness of the Internet of today is caused, I believe,
by the explosion of "the web."  We all should have been able to
predict that as soon as somebody made it possible for any idiot to
use the net, half the idiots in the world would want to, and the
other half would consider it inherently evil and denounce it.  Thus
we have pitted the U.S. Congress against the numerous minions of,
for instance, AOL.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder