Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 14:23:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        gcrutchr@nightflight.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing New files in a directory

On Sat, 23 Mar 1996 gcrutchr@nightflight.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a command to re-read a directory after you have installed a program in it.
> The directory is in my path, but after doing a 'make install', I cannot access it via my path statements.
> I have to explicitly specify the path to the app
>
> Thanks,

Your shell keeps a hashed list of every executeable in your path to speed
execution.  It doesn't actually reread your path.  To make your shell
rebuild that list, after you install new software, give the 'rehash'
command.  You'll have to do this for every open shell, because the shells
don't share their lists.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.