Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:25:00 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Pete Bentley <pete@sorted.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netra X1

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 11:23:54AM +0100, Pete Bentley wrote:
> On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > Just curious, could you please try the attached patch and check if the
> > MAC addresses get set and then set local-mac-address in the
> > OpenFirmware
> > and check again if the dc interfaces get different MAC addresses?
> > The patch should work (I'm just not sure about the different MAC
> > addresses
> > part),
>
> I'll have a play with it - it looks helpful but not quite right.
>
> For example if dc_read_eeprom() ever gets a non-zero mac address it'll
> skip over the OF code.  Also if local-mac-address? is true it looks like

Which will be the case if someone puts a PCI card with a Davicom DM9102
into a SUN box.

> it'll leave a zeroed MAC address on the interface, but for
> local-mac-address?

I couldn't test this but this part is actually code from Jake Burkholder
so I'm confident that it'll work.

> being false, it'll program the interface with the hosts's MAC address.
>
> That last case is handy for me and possibly others running X1's...
>
> > however Maxime doesn't want to have this in the device driver but
> > at a higher level.
>
> I'd agree with that - otherwise doesn't every ethernet driver on sparc64
> need extra code to decide whether to respect the local-mac-address
> setting?

For all drivers except hme(4) and gem(4) I wouldn't check it all. AFAIK
local-mac-address is only an issue with hme(4) and gem(4) add-in cards,
which ship with a ROM containing their own fcode including the MAC
address. The onboard hme(4) and gem(4) NICs don't have seperate fcode,
at least the boards with a single interface. I don't know what SUN did
with the boards that have multiple ethernet interfaces onboard, like
the Netra T1 200 with two gem(4) or Netra X1 with two dc(4). Therefor
I asked you to test the patch, I guess others would also be interested
to know if it's necessary to check local-mac-address for the onboard
dc(4) interfaces on the Netra X1.

Marius