Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 13:26:30 -0700
From:      Janie Dykes <jkn33@pangeatech.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, haodongpan@netease.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

When scouring through the threads - this one in particular caught my
attention.  In my experience, which is still very new, I think all of
you make excellent points.  For the most part, the novice/average
person, believes that hackers are malicious, destructive individuals.  A
huge number of computer users are misled and misinformed about the true
definition of the term 'hacker'.  This is unfortunate - if those people
could spend some time reading the brilliant posts to this list, they
might realize that we are not all 16 year olds, hiding behind the glow
of the monitor, reading their email and stealing their passwords and
credit card information and posting it on IRC. I have a point.  :]  The
first time I experienced that curiosity - I got a little carried away.
eh hem  I learned that my skills, which included aptness
and dexterity, had been misdirected.  Upon my awakening, I was blessed
with my mentor. He challenged me to use my skills productively.  In
retrospect, I learned [the hard way] and gained some experience with
some help from my mentor [some of you may know Peter Mountain -
BRU2000].  All in all, there are many contributing factors to becoming a
hacker.  I rarely post to this list - so I hope that my lengthy post
doesn't offend.  So on that note - I will continue observing the minds
at work.

Thanks for the opportunity to post -
Janie Dykes