Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:22:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adam C. Migus" <adam@migus.org>
To:        "Bruce Evans" <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sys/conf/DEFAULT[S]

Bruce Evans said:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> Now that we have 'nooptions' and 'nodevice' in kernel config files
>> as well
>> as the abconsistentnclude other config files, I'd like to tweak
>> config(8)
>> so that it automatically includes sys/conf/DEFAULT (or DEFAULTS)
>> and
>> sys/${MACHINE}/conf/DEFAULT (S) when generating a kernel config
>> and then
>> get rid of all the 'NO_*' options.
>
> OK with me.
>
> Do we actually gave the abiltity to include other config files?  It
> was
> quite broken last time I tried to use it for anything more
> complicated
> than the example in "SMP".
>
> When breaking POLA by renaming options, please use a consistent
> namespace
> for the new names...

I use the include feature quite a bit, nested in some cases.  It
works great for me for creating combinations of debug, diskless, mac
and smp kernels for example.

>> For example, NO_F00F_HACK could be renamed to a positive FOOF_HACK
>> option.
>> sys/i386/conf/DEFAULT would contain 'options F00F_HACK' and if
>> people
>> wanted to disable it they could use 'nooptions F00F_HACK' in their
>> custom
>> config.
>
> In a consistent namespace, it would be CPU_F00F_HACK or maybe
> CPU_PENTIUM1_F00F_HACK.
>
>> Another nice thing, btw, might be to add a sys/conf/GENERIC that
>> the
>> MD GENERIC's could include that would include common things like
>> 'ident', 'FFS', 'INET', etc.
>
> Too much of this would make it harder to see where things are,
> especially
> if there are things toggled back and forth.  Something like "make
> LINT"
> would be needed to see the final set of directives.  Similarly for
> Makefiles generated by config.  It has become hard to temporarily
> change
> options by editing the Makefile, since many things are set in .mk
> files
> in the source tree.
>
> Bruce

Could config(8) get an additional option to print the final set of
directives after it does it's magic?  It could even be extended to
print how/where it got them, if desired, perhaps...

--
Adam - (http://people.migus.org/~amigus/)
Migus Dot Org - (http://www.migus.org/)