Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 15:40:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: staroffice installation

On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 01:44:55AM -0400, Michael Alwan wrote:
> Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Michael Alwan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> Some questions about StarOffice. I got the StarOffice 3.4 package (not
>>> 3.4beta, but the latest package at ftp.freebsd.org) and the
>>> linux_lib-2.4.  Installed both, enabled linux compatability in rc.conf
>>> (I'm running 3.0-970807-SNAP). Ran ldconfig in /compat/linux/sbin.
>>> Rebooted: startup mesages indicate linux compatability is enabled. Go to
>>> /usr/local/StarOffice-3.4 and try to run setup.  The message: "this UNIX
>>> version is not supported."  I didn't see anything specific to this
>>> problem in the archives.  Any ideas?  And why two StarOffice packages
>>> under current (one a beta)?  Did I download the wrong one?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael Alwan
>>>
>> You have to enable linux emulation in the kernel. See LINT for details.
>> Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
>
> Are you sure? I thought since 2.2.?? it was sufficient to set the linux
> compatability in rc.conf.  I'll check it out.

No, you also need to start the LKM.  From "The Complete FreeBSD",
second edition:

 Running  the  emulator  is  straightforward:  just type in its name, which, not
 surprisingly, is linux.  It's also a good idea to enable it in /etc/rc.conf:

 linux_enable="YES"  # Linux emulation loaded at startup (or NO).

 This will cause it to be started every time you boot the system; it won't start
 it immediately.

 Since  linux  is an LKM, it won't show up in a ps listing.  To check whether it
 is loaded, use modstat:

 $ modstat
 Type     Id Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
 EXEC      0   4 f3cc6000 001c f3ccc010   1 linux_mod

 Installing the Linux libraries

 In addition to the LKM, Linux emulation requires compatibility libraries.   You
 can  find  them on the first CD-ROM as packages/emulators/linux_lib-2.4.tgz, or
 in the Ports Collection as /usr/src/ports/emulators/linux_lib.  To install from
 the first CD-ROM, enter

 # pkg_add /cdrom/packages/emulators/linux_lib-2.4.tgz

 To build the latest version of the library, do

 # cd /usr/src/ports/emulators/linux_lib
 # FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes make all install

 The  FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes  enables  you  to install the library even if it is
 currently installed.

Greg