Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:33:44 +0200
From:      Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gergely_Santa@tempest.sk, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure editors/vim

Am 15.09.2007 um 04:07 schrieb David O'Brien:

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 06:00:02PM +0200, Martin Tournoij wrote:
>>> As vim port have no configuration options, it can't be configured
>>> easyly through 'make config'. I'm too lazy for digging Makefile for
>>> options every time I compile new version of vim, I added
>>> configuration options to Makefile.  I'm new to FreeBSD, also to it's
>>> Ports, so maybe I don't see the reasons, these options aren't in the
>>> Makefile, but maybe they should be there.  Anyway, I attach my
>>> change, maybe it will be acceptable to have it's way to ports.
>>> And if
>>> not, maybe it will help for someone else too :)
>
> Hum.. if there is some demand for OPTIONS feature, what do folks think
> about this patch?

I'm no vi/vim expert, but from the user's point of view, this patch
looks just great. These days, you can't seriously expect an average
user to dig into some makefile. Many could ask you: "What is this,
'Makefile'?".

> Brownie ports for someone that can explain why this always happens
> for me
> with ports that have OPTIONS:
>
>     bash$ make
>     cd /usr/ports/editors/vim && make config;
>     ===>  Switching to root credentials to create /var/db/ports/vim
>     Password:
>     ===>  Returning to user credentials
>     [3]+  Stopped                 WITH_OPTIONS=1 make

Time to fix your system? It doesn't happen on my 6.2-RELEASE. I'm
running ports stuff as root.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/