Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 17:54:11 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS between 2.2.1 and 2.1.7.1

#define quoting(Doug Rabson)
// On Sun, 11 May 1997, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
// >   I've recently upgraded some of my NFS clients from FreeBSD 2.1.7 to
// > FreeBSD 2.2.1-R.  The server is too important to risc an upgrade right
// > now.  Also, on both systems I also upgraded from ethernet 10M (ne2000
// > and DEC 21040) to ethernet 100M (3c905).  The hardware change some weeks
// > after upgrading the OS version.
//
// I have fixed a number of bugs in NFS since 2.2.1 was released.  I haven't
// yet merged the fixes into the 2.2 branch but they certainly make 3.0 a lot
// more stable for heavy use of NFS, both NFSv2 and NFSv3.

Just guessing: Would it work if I simply copied the sys/nfs subdir from
-current to my 2.2 branch ?

// If you are not already, you should track the 2.2 branch with CVSup and
// watch for the NFS fixes when I commit then (in a week or two probably).

I have always followed FreeBSD-stable/src, with the ftp mirror package.

If there's something similar for 2.2, I'll follow it too.

// trace and maybe we can figure out what is broken.

It was sending write requests, and receiving no answer at all.  Maybe a
problem on the server (2.1.7) side ?

I also used the dumbtimer option with no success.  Now I'm trying with
tcp mounts, and seems to be much more stable.  I'm up for more than one
hour, stressing the NFS system, and had no system locks until now.

Of course, it's slower.  :(

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br