Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:46:46 +0100
From:      Ian Diddams <didds@freenet.uk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Backups (yet again I hear you sigh)

Well I've waded through the archives and very informative they were too,
but I still can't solve my backup space problem.

I'm running FBSD 3.2 and trying to remotely backup a solaris 2.4 box
using (solaris) ufsdump.  I have at most 11 Gb to backup (and I doubt
its even that much in total - that's merely the total HD space
"available") to a HP SureStore DAT24, which SHOULD be able to cope with
12 Gb data uncompressed or 24 Gb compressed I'm told.  I'm using a HP
DDS-3 Data Cartridge which proudly advertsies its compressed capacity as
24GB - more than enough to store the data required.

What I don't understand then is why when I attempt this backup the tape
runs out!  ie the backup requests a second tape!  I've tried simply
using 0f; and I've tried using
0busdf 126 375 97000, both to absolutely no avail - if anything
specifying b,s and d actually makes matters worse!.  FWIW, solaris
ufsdump is as far as I can see the same as dump.

So - my query is merely this - what the proverbial am I doing
incorrectly ('cos I must be missing something very fundamental) and how
do I force the compression on the backup ?

TIA

Didds