Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:26:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        wu zhigang <zgang@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Please advise

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, wu zhigang wrote:

> I have a question about using the FreeBSD OS, Please advise.
>
> I want to format a bootable floppy using the FreeBSD OS, and I want
> copy a .exe file into the floppy, then run the .exe file, no need to
> probe the hard disk or other devices other than a floppy. Please
> advise how to do this, Thanks.

You may find at ftp://gwdu60.gwdg.de/pub/FreeBSD/misc/minisys.flp a floppy
disk image which boots a 4.3-STABLE kernel without network and SCSI
support. I built the image for a purpose similar to yours. You may replace
/sbin/init on the floppy with your executable, but take a look at
the source /src/myinit.c before. Don't forget to statically link your C
code by using `cc -static ...'!

The floppy disk image can be written to a floppy disk by using fdimage.exe
or dd as described for the FreeBSD installation floppies.

Hope that helps!

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg