Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2010 02:55:52 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Andy Wodfer <wodfer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and large harddrives

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Andy Wodfer <wodfer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have learned lots here. Too bad I have to find another use for my 4 x 2TB
> green WDC drives I have laying around. Anyways - they'll probably end up as
> a temp/work drive on a few Windows stations.
>
> Btw. will these drive work better in a ZFS "pool/tank" (not connected to a
> raid card)? I have noticed on my FreeNAS server that you can group several
> drives together into "one" large ZFS "drive".

They should be fine in ZFS, I think there is also a utility to set the
amount of time before it parks the heads, if you raise the time you should
less of the load/unload cycles.  Not sure if it's mentioned, but those
drives are susceptible to misalignment, however that shouldn't be an issue
if you use the whole drive.

--
Adam Vande More