Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 21:17:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hauppage WinTV-D Digital TV receiver

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> I agree that it would be better to have full resolution HD.  Of course it
> can't be done (using the method the Brooktree chips use, and the method
> that this Hauppauge board uses) with 32 bit 33MHz PCI.  It would take up
> a significant fraction of the available bandwidth with 64 bit 33MHz PCI.
>
> It becomes more of a possibility with 64 bit 66MHz PCI, though.
>
> (1920 * 1080 * 24bpp = 6.2MB/frame, * 30 frames/sec = 187MB/sec)
>
> FWIW, professional uncompressed HD runs over 1.5Gbps serial digital links.
>
> There are only a couple of ways that I can think of that you could do HD on
> most PCs out there today:  (i.e. PCs with just 32 bit 33MHz PCI)
>
>  - Have a tuner board that sends the ATSC MPEG stream over the PCI bus to
>    the graphics board, which would also need an integrated MPEG decompression
>    chip.
>
>  - Put the tuner and MPEG decompressor on the graphics board.
>
> Then there's the fact that most monitors don't have the horizontal
> resolution to fit 1920 pixels.  So you'd have to downconvert it somewhat
> anyway to fit it in a window.  (Interestingly enough, you can display HD on
> a standard monitor with coax inputs -- most decent monitors have the
> bandwidth to do it.)

What with LCD screens getting larger, I am expecting a 1920X1080 LCD
screen to be available.  I don't think it will be cheap; I think it will
be damned expensive at first.  I also think that, at whatever price they
ask, it'll be hard to resist, if it can do computer screens and HDTV.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.