Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:47:22 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Rhys John <elite_bizkit@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mplayer keeps screwing my system :(

Rhys John wrote:
> I tried "mplayer -ao oss" and as you said, I got no sound, so is this
> artsd the problem then? If so can I "kill" it?

artsd is the kde sound demon.  IIRC, you can disable it by using the
KDE controls to turn off sound support.

> One other quick note, if I play a file with mplayer and close it I can
> no longer see what I type in the terminal window which I used to open
> mplayer. Another issue is that when i minimise mplayer the last frame of

Huh?  Mplayer is killing the terminal you're starting it from?  I've
never heard of that happening before.  Is the terminal still working,
but the text is invisible, or is the terminal completely locked up?

> the video stays on top of everything else and until it is closed I cant
> see anything behind it (i.e. I have a big square on top of my desktop).

Known problem with Xv.  For now the best solution appears to be "don't
do that".  I don't think this is high on the developer's priority list
either, as most people play clips all the way through and then close
mplayer.  If it's a big concern to you, and you don't want scaling and
you have a beefy CPU, you can use -vo x11 instead.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer