Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:42:21 -0700
From:      "Rev. Joe Doyle Ardent" <ardent@nebcorp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK on freebsd?

Marco Trentini wrote:

> Vincent Chen wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I need a jsp engine on freebsd. One installation on
> > linux from my office works great so far. What's the
> > status and how stable JDK are on freebsd? Which jdk
> > version will you recommend? Is there any ready-to-go
> > package available or I must build it from port?
>
> There is a article suitable for this topic:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/index.html

	This is really fairly rediculous; is this the native FBSD JDK:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/x35.html ?

Why the dependancy on the Linux JDK?  Why bother with a "native" JDK if
you need the Linux one, anyway, and can run it instead (via the
already-required Linux compatibility)?

	The FBSD Java page (http://www.freebsd.org/java/) has this
item:

"December 22, 2001:

This was posted to announce@freebsd.org:

The FreeBSD Foundation has secured a license from Sun Microsystems to
distribute a native FreeBSD version of both the Java Development Kit
(JDK) and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Thanks to the great
efforts of the FreeBSD Java team, these should be available for
inclusion with the upcoming release of FreeBSD 4.5 in January, 2002."

	Has the FBSD-native JDK/JRE ever been released?  Is the
FBSD-native Java environment merely the Sun source + the patches from
eyesbeyond.com?  What is meant by "[java will be] available for
inclusion" from above?  An inclusion strategy analogous to Perl, or
more like gcc?  Or, is this as "included" as it's going to get?