Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:22:04 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        mlaier@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP-related error on 5.4RC3

(copying mlaier@ because FreeBSD carp seems to be his baby, and we're
trying to squeeze 5.3 out)

Sorry to follow up on my own post, but more CARP weirdness on 5.4RC3.

I have two traffic shapers, both i386 with fresh 5.4RC3 installs, one
master and one backup.

When I reboot the master, the backup quickly takes over -- just as you
would expect.

When the master finishes booting, however, the backup doesn't release
one of the CARP interfaces.  Even if I wait several minutes, the
backup looks like this:

pfsync0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1348
        pfsync: syncif: fxp0 maxupd: 128
carp0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet xxx.yy.zzz.20 netmask 0xffffffc0
        carp: MASTER vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100
carp1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet xxx.yy.zzz.129 netmask 0xffffff80
        carp: BACKUP vhid 2 advbase 1 advskew 100

Note that carp0 is a master, while carp1 is a slave.
Meanwhile, over on the master we have:

pfsync0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1348
        pfsync: syncif: fxp0 maxupd: 128
carp0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet 198.88.118.20 netmask 0xffffffc0
        carp: MASTER vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 0
carp1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
        inet 198.88.118.129 netmask 0xffffff80
        carp: MASTER vhid 2 advbase 1 advskew 0

So, two carp0 masters.  This is not good.

Both machines have the same sysctl settings:

net.inet.carp.allow: 1
net.inet.carp.preempt: 1
net.inet.carp.log: 1
net.inet.carp.arpbalance: 0