Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 08:14:56 -0500
From:      Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software Compatibility

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, chrisndeb@mindspring.com wrote:
> My name is Chris Goetz.  I am a user of FreeBSD.  I have been trying to find
>  out if there is a way to configure or add on some exhisting features to
>  make it easier for the common person to use.  (e.g. mapping a drive to the
>  server to browse the directories in an "Explorer type environment")  I've
>  been successful in doing this with other UNIX systems and it saves me hours
>  of trying to explain how to navigate in a UNIX environment to a computer
>  illiterate person who has never used anything except Windows.  Is there a
>  quick fix?

It's hard to tell from the context of your message exactly what you are asking
for but here's a few things you may or may not be referencing.

Samba: Allows you to emulate a Windows NT or 95-9X file sharing services.
Sharity: Allows you to map directories to shared Windows type services

That about covers anything you'd need for "Explorer type environments" as far
as Windows is concerned.

If you are speaking of Netware "drives" there is software to emulate a Novell
server on FreeBSD (And other *nixes) as well as a developing Netware client for
FreeBSD (Boris Popov I believe) which I have been upgrading and trying on a
fairly regular basis. (Bindery access only so far...sigh)

And of course there is always a way or twenty to use NFS to mount remote
servers onto a single point of access.

Is any of this close?

Tony