Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:48:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wangtek 51000HT tape drive

> Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
> > > Are you saying that I should duplicate that entry for the Wangtek 5525ES
> > > in the quirk table for the 51000HT?
> >
> > Yes. If it works, send it to me and I'll check it in in a variety of
> > places.
>
> I've added an entry
>
>         {
>                 { T_SEQUENTIAL, SIP_MEDIA_REMOVABLE, "WANGTEK",
>                   "51000*", "*"}, SA_QUIRK_FIXED|SA_QUIRK_1FM, 512
>         }
>
> to sa_quirk_table in /sys/cam/scsi/scsi_sa.c. This gives an improvement,
> but it still doesn't really work.

Did you run a CAMDEBUG kernel? That should then print out:

	printf("found quirk entry %d\n", (int)....

I had to put this in at one point because I found that the bloody quirk
wasn't matching.

> Test #1
> -------
>
>   <insert tape>
>   $ echo file0 | cpio -oH crc -F $TAPE
>   7 blocks
>   $ echo file1 | cpio -oH crc -F $TAPE
>   121 blocks
>   $ mt rew
>   $ rm *
>   $ cpio -iF $TAPE
>   7 blocks
>   <file is okay>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 7
>   $ cpio -iF $TAPE
>   Found end of volume. Load next volume and press RETURN.
>   cpio: file0 not created: newer or same age version exists
>   7 blocks
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 7
>
> Shouldn't the position be at file #1 after file #0 has been read?

Not necessarily. Both CPIO and TAR  can stop short of reading over a
filemark. Also, if it's fixed block mode, some of the file/record
accounting isn't right (depending on the version of the driver)- you
didn't think I put the warning into the man page for no reason, eh?

Here's my replication of this:

fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > mt stat
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  default         variable       0        0x1
---------available modes---------
0:        default         variable       0        0x1
1:        default         variable       0        0x1
2:        default         variable       0        0x1
3:        default         variable       0        0x1
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > echo file0 | cpio -oH crc -F $TAPE
4070 blocks
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > echo file1 | cpio -oH crc -F $TAPE
67 blocks
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > sum file0 file1
60461 2035 file0
4931 33 file1
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > rm file0 file1
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > mt rew
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > cpio -iF $TAPE
4070 blocks
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > mt stat
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  default         variable       0        0x1
---------available modes---------
0:        default         variable       0        0x1
1:        default         variable       0        0x1
2:        default         variable       0        0x1
3:        default         variable       0        0x1
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 4070
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > mt fsf
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > mt stat
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  default         variable       0        0x1
---------available modes---------
0:        default         variable       0        0x1
1:        default         variable       0        0x1
2:        default         variable       0        0x1
3:        default         variable       0        0x1
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 1  Record Number: 0
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > cpio -iF $TAPE
67 blocks
fctblab.nas.nasa.gov > sum file0 file1
60461 2035 file0
4931 33 file1

>   $ mt fsf
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 0
>   $ cpio -iF $TAPE
>   121 blocks
>   <file is okay>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 121
>
> In real life, of course, I use something like buffer(1) or team(1). So

And where are these entities? Ports collection?

> lets try again:
>
>   $ rm *
>   $ mt rew
>   <no actual rewinding happens>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 0
>   $ buffer -i $TAPE | cpio -i
>   buffer (reader): failed to read input: Input/output error
>   cpio: premature end of archive
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 20
>
> Something's screwy here.

Did it used to work that CPIO and/or tar would always end up in the next
tape file?

> Test #2
> -------
>
>   <insert tape>
>   $ dump 0a /var
>     DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
>   $ dump 0a /home
>     DUMP: DUMP IS DONE
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 2  Record Number: 0
>   $ mt rew
>   $ restore t
>   <listing looks okay>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 448
>   $ restore t
>   Tape is not a dump tape
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 512
>   $ mt fsf
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 0
>   $ restore t
>   <listing looks okay>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 1408
>   $ mt rew
>   $ restore r
>   <looks okay>
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 0  Record Number: 7680
>   $ rm -rf *
>   $ restore r
>   tape read error: Undefined error: 0
>   $ mt stat
>   File Number: 1  Record Number: 64
>
> --

Okay. Let me ponder. On the latter- I have to go off to flute quartets
now.