Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:24:18 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Karin Lagesen <karin@ii.uib.no>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   stunnel, fetchmail and pop3

I am currently trying to set things up so that I can fetch my mail from my
mailbox at my uni securely. I am currently running 4.2-RELEASE. What I am
doing/have done is the following:

First of all I installed stunnel-3.14 via porteasy with the options -aub.
AFAIK, this should also install any cryptografic stuff that it needs? The
reason for my asking is that www.stunnel.org claims that the program also
needs OpenSSL or SSLeay, and I couldn't see anything like that on the
depends listing....

Secondly I am trying to get stunnel to start up during startup. The
program comes with a script that is supposed to go in the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory. From the man page it looks like that
anything in that directory ending in .sh will be run at startup. Is this
correct?

Third, the command that I'm trying to start from that script is as
follows (mail.server here being the ip of my pop3 mail server):

/usr/local/sbin/stunnel -c -d 110 -r mail.server:995

From what I can see, this should be correct. However, it wouldn't surprise
me if I have misunderstood something in this...:)

When I tried running this command as root (with -f to get it to
foreground) was:

miranda# /usr/local/sbin/stunnel -f -c -d 110 -r mail.server:995
LOG5[4174:134582272]: Using 'mail.server:995' as tcpwrapper service name
LOG5[4174:134582272]: stunnel 3.14 on i386--freebsd4.2 PTHREAD+LIBWRAP
LOG3[4174:134582272]: Argument to -P (/var/run/stunnel/) is not valid a
directory name.
miranda#

Can anyone explain? stunnel does not seem to be running on my machine
after this...

Lastly, I would like to fetch my mail through this should-be working
tunnel. I have heard that the way to do this after setting up stunnel as
above would be to poll your localhost at port 110. Is this correct? There
is also an ssl option, but I could not understand how all of that should
be set up...:)

Thanks in advance,

Karin
--