Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 18:52:59 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

At 9:46 AM -0400 5/7/02, Robert Watson wrote:
>On Tue, 7 May 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>  >   A bunch of things starting leaking out of the woodwork
>  >   as I was playing around with 64 bit time_t's.  At the
>  >   very least I would pad the structures to handle things
>  >   like 64 bit dev_t, ino_t, and file flags, and I would
>  >   even consider padding now 96 bit structures like timespec
>  >   to 128 bits across the board.  It might also be worthwhile
>  >   to make uid_t, gid_t, and pid_t 64 bits to support probable
>  >   future work in those areas.
>
>My understanding from talking with Kirk and Poul-Henning is
>that ino_t is definitely on the list already, as are a number
>of the others at the file system image layer (such as block
>pointers, et al).  They should already have much of this
>underway, and the temptation is to allow them to do the
>grunt work if they're already doing it :-).

Certainly we should try to talk them into doing as much of
the work as we can convince them to do...   :-)

>dev_t I don't really have an opinion about.

I would really really like to have the larger dev_t, but I
expect everyone remembers my previous pleading on the topic.
So, I will just add a "pretty please?" here as a reminder.
I really think it's the right thing to do for OpenAFS, etc.

>I guess the one opinion I haven't heard yet, and am a little
>surprised not to have heard is:
>
>   No, we shouldn't do this on architectural grounds.
>
>We've heard "yes" in various flavors, including moderated
>"yes if we can manage it by the release".  Not to invite a
>bikeshed, but if there's going to be a strong argument
>against such a change, it would be nice to hear it sooner.

My vote is a pretty strong "yes" for at least the changes
that Poul-Henning originally mentioned.  I might want to
change that vote if we're at mid-July and we can't seem to
pull the changes together, but I think the new syscall
vector is less painful than trying to do all the UFS2 work
(which I *do* want in 5.0) via any other method.  I would
not mind if 5.0 slipped a month for that work.  (not that
I want it to slip, but I would not feel bad if we find out
that it had to slip one month for this change).

Where I start hemming and hawing is when it comes to how
many other changes should be added.  Basically I want "as
many as we can do and still keep to the schedule".  I would
not want 5.0 to slip for other syscall-ish changes.