Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:52:06 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        c0re <nr1c0re@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: / file system is full, but du does not show that it's full

--------------enig8C8BDD90493370F87AC72378

On 06/01/2011 11:26, c0re wrote:
> # df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    496M    466M   -9.8M   102%    /
>=20
> So it's full.
>=20
> But by du it's not appeared to be full
>=20
>=20
> # du -hxd 1 /
> 2.0K    /.snap
> 512B    /dev
> 2.0K    /tmp
> 2.0K    /usr
> 2.0K    /var
> 1.9M    /etc
> 2.0K    /cdrom
> 2.0K    /dist
> 1.0M    /bin
> 131M    /boot
>  10M    /lib
> 356K    /libexec
> 2.0K    /media
>  12K    /mnt
> 2.0K    /proc
> 7.2M    /rescue
> 296K    /root
> 4.7M    /sbin
> 4.0K    /lost+found
> 157M    /
>=20

Do you have partitions mounted at /tmp, /usr, /var etc?  Does the output
of your du command change if you unmount those partitions?
(It might be an idea to boot into a livefs CD or DVD given that du(1)
lives in /usr/bin, so a bit tricky to unmount /usr and then run du)

My guess is that you've at one time created files beneath what is
usually a mount point.  Mounting the partition over them makes those
files inaccessible, but they still take up space on the drive.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3