Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 03:46:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        andreas@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pgcc port

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> The pgcc port fails trying to link libgnumalloc.
>
> Besides, do you think we can make this to use the gcc source in
> /usr/src?  (Or even fold in the patches into /usr/src....)

Hmm, what about people, that don't have /usr/src installed ?!
I think they want still a working ports mechanism.
We shoudn't mix ports collection and /usr/src tree, or ?!
Besides that, I don't have a concrete idea, how to bring in the
pgcc patches without patching gcc in contrib ... And this is
certainly not wanted.

Integrating the pentium optimization patches into the
default compiler would be an interesting thing.

But how do the others think about this ... Would that have a
negative impact on stability ?! One big jump to 2.7.2.1 as default
compiler has been made ... and now another big one to get Pentium
optimized code ?! Hmmmm...

If everything would be running fine after hacking gcc I'd say,
wow, yes, immediately, nice feature .... since I have a Pentium, too ;)

Is there someone, who could fiddle the patches in if the others
agree ? What would the task be ?! Simply patching gcc-2.7.2.1
with the pgcc patches and doing a commit after that or trickier ?

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de