Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:15:49 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receiving mail directly

On 9 Aug 98, at 11:15, Dan Busarow wrote:

> > solution seems to apply to me.  That is, make my ISP a secondary server to
> > myself.
>
> Since you have a permanent connection you don't need to go to this
> trouble.  The mail will come in on its own once you make yourself
> primary MX.  you can make the ISP secondary if you want but it is
> not necessary.

Well, permanent in the sense that I don't dial up with a modem.  Over
the past 6 months or so, it's been down about 3 or 4 times.  In such
circumstances, my ISP, as the secondary server, would store the mail.
Mail would be forwarded to my mail server by my ISP when the
connection returned.

A curly one: My connection may be permanent.  But my IP is not.  It's
assigned via DHCP.  There must be some mechanism for my ISP to
update the DNS dynamically.

> > Sendmail is up and running on my machine.  Mail sent to my freebsd box
> > gets out into the realworld.  I'm guessing that what I need to do is
> > install procmail, which is a local mail delivery agent.  Is that correct?
>
> Installing procmail is a good idea, but not for this problem.  It
> will give you more control over local delivery than you've yet dreamed
> of. :)

OH.

You say that as if it's something I might regret if I tried it.   :)

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited