Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:21:34 +0100
From:      Samier.Kesou@bfa-berlin.de
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alpha 2000 - 4.1 Installation

Hello,

I am trying to do a installtion of a 4.1 version an a alpha 2000 5/300.
Firmware revision 5.3.

Eversince i cannot boot from cdrom (bootblock not "correct")
I made the two floppies. I can boot them allright. Following are
some parts of the boot messages:

----- snip bootup --------
kern.flp
switch to osf palcode succeeded
FreeBSD/alpha SRM diskboot Revision 0.3

mfsroot.flp
ok show
console=prom
currdev=disk0a
interpret=ok
kernelname=/kernel
loaddev=disk0a
prompt=${interpret}
ok ls
/
   mfsroot.gz
ok lsdev
disk@2001e8a0
      disk0:SRMdriveDVA0 1000 0 0 0 0 0
ok boot
 Entering kernel at 0+ffffc000032a200
 unexpected machine check

    mces = 0x1
    vector= 0x670
   param = 0x fffffc000000
   pc = 0xfffffc0000
   ra = 0xfffffc00005a48e8
   curproc = 0

panic machine check
Uptime 0s
---- snip bootup ------

=> System dead, need to use reset button.
=> Next bootup of DEC Unix (allredy installed) stops
  -> halted CPU
      halted code = 2
=> Next bootup of DEC UNIX works just fine.

From the archives i've seen that a possible isa tga graphic card
could lead to such an error. But in my config there is only a vga
graphic card (or is that the same).

Also at the moment im not able to allow remote access to the server.

Can someone tell me what is going wrong here. Maybe its only a console
variable

Thanks in advance
samier.