Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:38:58 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make a pvr

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:28:29 +0100
Gianmarco Giovannelli <freebsd@gimbo.org> wrote:

> If I use a fast box I can buy a simple tv card (i.e PCTV rave or
> Hauppauge WinCast/TV) and then use somekind of programs (which ?

	ffmpeg (but you want to get 0.48 not 0.49pre1 which is in the
current ports tree and suffers from A/V sync errors) or mencoder (from
the mplayer port) or I believe transcode works these days.

> :-)  to save the video in mpeg format. Any tips on hw well supported ones ?

	A few caveats - I have two Pinnacle/Miro PCTV cards one of which
has an MT2050 tuner which I still cannot drive (I haven't had time to
do much with it lately though). I also briefly had a PCTV card that
despite the label on the box saying BT878 contained a completely different
chipset - I was able to exchange it because of this (in fact I was about to
get a refund when they decided to look in the box on the shelf and found
that it did have a BT878 in it so I took the replacement).

	I suppose the moral of the story is - try and get an arrangement
where you can take the card back if you can't drive it, and if you can't
then be sure to look inside the box first and make sure there is a BT878
(or Connexant 878 more likely these days but it's the same chip) and a
supported tuner.