Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 14:20:54 -0700
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@lehub.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Dave Walton <walton@nordicrecords.com>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 770

I went down this road with a PAO build once.  It was possible (though not
simple) to boot with the installation kernel, drop into recovery mode
using the CD-ROM filesystem image, then build and install a kernel, at
least under 2.2.6.  However, there are some problems that got introduced
with the recovery process at some point; you might do better to make a
recovery floppy and boot off of that (so you can write the library cache
files correctly).

Good luck.

P.S.  Thanks Nate for the memory comment.  Turned out that MAXMEM was set
slightly off after all.   I do the Dance of Public Humiliation...

On Fri, 09 Jul 1999 14:31:05 MDT, Sendmail channeled Nate Williams saying:

.
> > So what now?  Wait for 3.3?
>
> Hmmm.......  Someone could build you a custom kernel, but I don't know
> how you'd get it installed.  If you can think of a way to install a
> custom kernel, I'll build you one.
>

> Nate

| Kenton A. Hoover                                  | shibumi@marchordie.org |
|  Private Citizen                                  |                        |
| San Francisco, California                         |                        |
|      Q:  How do you play religious roulette?                               |
|      A:  You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets       |
|           struck by lightning first.                                       |