Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 17:52:14 -0400
From:      "Bakki Kudva" <bakki.kudva@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel Bye" <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nubie question - Ports - Ruby 1.8.4

FIXED! I have Ruby 1.8.4 in my tree now.

I had not done...
# portsnap extract

I was a bit mislead because when I did
# portsnap fetch
after downloading it said it was 'extracting'. So I skipped extract. My bad=
.

I still would like to ask you gurus a couple of questions if I may.

1. During sysinstall it had asked me if I wanted the ports collection
installed which had 13,000 apps, would take 400MB of space yada yada
yada...I assumed by saying yes and since I was installing off the boot
only CD I would get the LATEST ports from the main site. Why didn't I?
In chapter 4.5 of the handbook portsnap is given as an alternative to
sysinstall. So what is the difference between ports installed via
sysinstall vs. that from portsnap?

2. Unrelated: I did a pkg_version and see that there are a whole bunch
of packages (may be 80-90%) which need updating. I am just trying
FreeBSD for now on my laptop which is an old Gateway with Pentium II
400 MHz. It took nearly 2-3 days (it would pause with some dialog
which needed human input so I am not sure how long it might have taken
with me sitting in front of it all the time) to install gnome2 from
the ports. I don't know how long it might take to do a complete system
upgrade. So the question I have is on current technology (say Athlon64
or Coreduo with 1GB of RAM) how long does it take to install a
complete system + upgrade it to the ports tree for a X-developer
workstation? Sorry about the loaded question.

Thank you all for helping me resolve this so fast.

-bakki