Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:48:27 -0400
From:      Matthew Hagerty <mhagerty@voyager.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   To finish this VPN configuration...?

Greetings,

If this belongs in security (or even questions) my apologies, it seemed
appropriate for net...

I am trying to get a simple VPN between two gateways configured but there
seems to be a lack of examples on doing this with FreeBSD.  What I have so
far is this:

Added to the kernel:

options IPSEC
options IPSEC_ESP

Set:
sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1

Checked out the example in the handbook for a IP4 tunnel config, something
like this:
                      ======= AH =======
                      |                |
Network-A        Gateway-A        Gateway-B       Network-B
10.0.1.0/24 ---- 172.16.0.1 ----- 172.16.0.2 ---- 10.0.2.0/24

So I entered the setkey parameters like the example, replacing the
172.16.0.x addresses with the real external IP addresses of the two hosts.

# setkey -c <<EOF
spdadd 10.0.1.0/24 10.0.2.0/24 any -P out ipsec
     ah/tunnel/172.16.0.1-172.16.0.2/require ;
.
.
.
EOF

At this point I was hoping the _magic_ would happen and I would be able to
ping 10.0.2.1 from the 10.0.1.1 network and vice-versa.  Of course it
didn't happen.

Any insight as to what might be missing or still left unconfigured would be
greatly appreciated.  Every reference I find on IPSec and VPN immediately
goes into talk about security and seems to leave out a few details about
the actual configuration.  I can help but think that there has to be some
route configuration in there somewhere, etc...

Thanks,
Matthew