Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 02:45:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Enno Davids wrote:

> This response kind of bothers me. There was a time when everytime I could
> sanely trace spammers I emailed abuse@wherever.was.relevant to advise them.
> Similarly, when people probed Apache I'd send off adivsory emails.

As with me.  However, I think there are two interrelated problems:

1)  Everyone and their dog running firewall software which interprets
every stray packet as an intrusion attempt.  I probably get 10 reports of
intrusions from my network (64 class C's) every week, and I'm getting
really irritated with people who can't figure out that most of the
positives are side effects of perfectly valid internet-type traffic.

2)  The fact that due to #1, when there is a real intrusion, most people
assume that it isn't really a positive.

I still take all of the queries seriously, but frankly, it's getting
irritating.

There is the other issue that the sheer quantity of people with the
ability to do port scans and perform intrusions is increasing
exponentially.

I really hate to say this, but we need some well-written laws to deal with
this crap, so we can go after these people.   Perhaps not with a criminal
penalty but a civil one instead....

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE