Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 23:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex as Root <root@gouda.acatysmoof.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, root@gouda.acatysmoof.com
Subject:   DNS reverse lookup issues

Dear List,

    I am trying to get my DNS all set up. I have The Complete FreeBSD and have followed it to the letter. Everything seems to be going well except:

I can ping www.acatysmoof.com
I cannot ping acatysmoof.com -
ping: cannot resolve acatysmoof.com: No address associated with name

Some info-----
named.conf

options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";

	forwarders {
		206.13.28.12; 206.13.31.12;
	};

};

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "localhost.rev";
};

// These are the acatysmoof.com zones. One master and one reverse lookup.

zone "acatysmoof.com" {
	type master;
	file "db.acatysmoof.com";
};

zone "164.170.64.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "acatysmoof-reverse";
};

-------END of named.conf

db.acatysmoof.com

acatysmoof.com.	IN	SOA	gouda.acatysmoof.com. alex.acatysmoof.com. (
		2001052001	; Serial (year,month,day,version_that_day)
		86400		; refresh (1 day)
		7200		; retry (2 hours)
		8640000		; expire (100 days)
		86400 )		; minimum (1 day)

; First, the domain name servers
		IN	NS	ns
		IN	NS	ns1

ns		IN	A	64.170.164.211
ns1		IN	A	64.170.164.210

; and now define what to do with mail - the 50 is a preference number.
; for example the secondary mail server could be 100, etc.
		IN	MX	50 gouda.acatysmoof.com

; define the A records
; These are simply the machines on the network
alexlaptop	IN	A	64.170.164.210
gouda		IN	A	64.170.164.211
gruyere		IN	A	64.170.164.212

; define some nicknames
www		IN	CNAME	gouda
ftp		IN	CNAME	gouda

; about your hardware configuration and software
alexlaptop	IN	HINFO	"Intel Pentium III 500"	"Windows 98"
gouda		IN	HINFO	"Intel Pentium 150"	"FreeBSD 4.2"
gruyere		IN	HINFO	"Intel Pentium 266"	"Windows 98"

---------END OF db.acatysmoof.com

and finally:

acatysmoof-reverse

@	IN	SOA	gouda.acatysmoof.com.	alex.acatysmoof.com.	(
			2000052001	; Serial (year,month,day,version)
			86400		; refresh (1 day)
			7200		; retry (2 hours)
			8640000		; expire (100 days)
			86400 )		; minimum (1 day)
	IN	NS	ns.acatysmoof.com.
	IN	NS	ns1.acatysmoof.com.

; and now the reverse lookup records
; the number is the last number of the IP

210	IN	PTR	alexlaptop.acatysmoof.com.
211	IN	PTR	gouda.acatysmoof.com.
212	IN	PTR	gruyere.acatysmoof.com.

Can anyone explain why I cannot ping my domain when pinged as acatysmoof.com? The main reason I want to do this is because I would like to send mail to this address, but right now no mail server can resolve it. :(

Thanks,
Alex