Date:      05 Feb 2003 16:32:27 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GGI (was: Project Status)

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> The secondary reason for it is so that when you are running X, and
> your kernel panics, the console gets properly dropped into the
> debugger, instead of leaving you screwed.

A while before I quit Linux two years ago, the kernel got a config
option to enable a special key (SysReq?) that was supposed to let you
send several different commands to the kernel even if some process like
X tied up the keyboard. (I don't remember the details; maybe "kill
process using the keyboard", "kill user process", etc.; and I don't
recall whether it actually worked in the hanging X case.)  It seemed
like a very useful feature and I was wishing for it when I tried FreeBSD
5.0-RC2 and -CURRENT.  (Usually, it's only X that messes up, not the
kernel.)