Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 2009 05:03:20 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Michael David Crawford <mdc@prgmr.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does one call name server registration?

At 04:52 AM 7/15/2009, Michael David Crawford wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm having a problem making myself clear to my domain name registrar's
>tech support.
>
>I have set up djbdns on a couple of my own servers, and want them
>registered AS name servers with whoever handles such registration.
>
>Most registrars allow one to just enter their hostnames and IPs and they
>take care of it automagically.
>
>But my once-beloved registrar HJ Linnen just outsourced all their
>registration services to NameScout, and they haven't got a clue.
>
>When I looked into it in my account page at NameScout, they said to email
>tech support, so I did.
>
>And tech support replied with the end-user instructions for assigning name
>servers to the domains one has registered with them.  That's not what I want.
>
>What I have are two pairs in the following format:
>
>   1.2.3.4 a.ns.example.com
>   5.6.7.8 b.ns.example.com
>
>I would like a domain to be able to set its name servers to be
>a.ns.example.com and b.ns.example.com, and then when that domain is
>resolved the lookup is delegated to either 1.2.3.4 or 5.6.7.8.
>
>What is the process called, of registering such name servers?  If I can
>tell NameScout support to do that for me, possibly they can get themselves
>a clue on my behalf.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Mike
>--
>Michael David Crawford
>mdc@prgmr.com
>
>    prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.
>
>       Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen

Nameservers are designated PER domain.  You tell the registrar for a
particular domain that your authoritative nameservers are at whatever fully
qualified domain name and IP address.

Prior to doing this with your registrar you should have the domain zone
file properly setup on those nameservers.

Hope this helps.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.