Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:50:02 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: testmain -> ficl ?

> Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com> writes:
>
> > Since we have it in the tree anyway, would it make sense to always
> > build/install testmain and install it as, say, /usr/bin/ficl? Perhaps that
> > would encourage some people to start fiddling with it, e.g. to enhance the
> > /boot stuff?
> A few suggestions:
>   How about a "cat" or "more" command.
>
>   How about a "kldloaded" predicate.  Suppose I want to load the coda
>   coda.ko iff I don't have a kernel with it built in.  But then when
>   coda is in the kernel it is not an klm; it is the kernel.  So the simplest
>   way to do this is to rather have an "nm command" which returns the
>   address and a testable predicate value indicating whether the lookup
>   succeeded.  I'd type:
> 	(if (not (nm "coda_vnodeop_entries"))
> 	    (load "coda"))
>   [obviously, I don't speak forth ... yet]

Actually, if Coda properly registers itself as a module even when
compiled into the kernel, the preload loaded Coda module will be
ignored.  That's obviously undesirable.  The problem here is that
there's not (yet) suitable metainformation associated with modules to
allow the loader to check the kernel for what it already contains.

There are various reasons for this not having been included; my excuse
right now is that I wanted to fix linker sets for KLDs first, but in
fact this metainformation can be incorporated regardless, so I should
probably just bite the bullet and do it - we've already more or less
agreed on how it can look.