Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:49:05 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding athlon xp to bsd.cpu.mk

On October 28, 2001, Maxim Sobolev sent me the following:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 02:30:40 +0200 (CEST), Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > Athlon XP (commercial name) == Athlon MP (core name)
>
> AFAIK, not quite. The core name is Palomino and there are three
> processors based on it: Athlon XP, Athlon MP and Duron.

From what I've read, the Athlon MP is supposed to be used for
multiprocessing arrangements (hence the MP.) Athlon XP is it's single
processor cousin. It appears these are in fact the same processor,
with the MP's having slightly more testing involved to be SMP
certified or some such. The Duron 1Ghz and above are also Palomino
based, but lack some of the features of the XP and MP, IIRC.

> What about new Durons based on the Palomino core? The problem is
> that as far as I know they have nothing in their name (like XP in
> Athlon's case) that distinguishes them from older Durons based on
> the Thunderbird core, while they do support SSE in addition to
> 3DNow and MMX. Perhaps it would be better to introduce new variable
> CPUCORE, so the user could use something like the following:
>
> CPUTYPE=athlon
> CPUCORE=thunderbird
>
> or
>
> CPUTYPE=duron
> CPUCORE=palomino

Couldn't a test be done on the Features information of the processor
to determine the best optimizations? Or would that break
cross-compiliation of optimized code?

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx>               http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a20>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N@ o K- w O M+ V--