Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 95 12:24:44 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Of slices and boot code..

> Here are my diffs to implement looking at and reporting the slice number
> in the kernel.  The diffs also remove the kludges to support the current
> bogus floppy minor numbering.  The floppy driver, MAKDEV, and everyone's
> /dev/fd?* need to be updated before the kludges can be removed.

Where are the MAKEDEV diffs?  8-).

Actually, has any consideration been given to having MAKEDEV use sysctl
in user land to ask the kernl what devices there are, and make them?

The actual soloution is a devfs, where the nodes "just are" (except the
cloners, of course).

Where is the current devfs code?  If it's not currently being hacked, I'd
like to hack on it.  It will help in porting by reducing the dependencies
for an MFS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---