Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 14:00:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Sergio Arias <sarias@comware.com.co>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: e-mail automatic

Just write up scripts to do the work.  Since your web server will likely
not have access to certain files it will not be able to do it alone.
Instead, as I have thought of doing it, you can register the request to a
database.

Once that request is in the database you can have it processed by a daemon
process or a cron job which runs routinely to handle those requests.  A
daemon process could open the database every 30 seconds and look for
requests, or the cron job could run every 15 minutes.  It depends on how
quickly you need requests processed.  After the request is processed it
can be marked as completed and stay in the database as a log for work
completed, or possibly incomplete requests which need attention.

If you need to add a user account or a new pop account you will need to
understand the add user functions of your system and how to set up a new
pop account and how to route mail to that account.  You can do this simply
with no features or get very sophisticated.  It can go as far as your
programming and admin skills go.  There may be some useful scripts at
Freshmeat.net.  This is a common enough need.
(see below for ideas)

Each night you can have a cron job run to send you a report of jobs
completed and the status of each request: pass or fail.  Tracking the
automatic requests will be very important when looking for bugs in this
new system.  Mistakes will happen.  It will be nice to have a detailed
list of requests and results to fix them.  Eventually mistakes will become
extremely rare given some care in eliminating them.

Ideas To Implement -

Adduser
If you can get the adduser utility to run without user interaction that
could be a major help.  So far in my brief test it always asks for input.
Perhaps you can modify adduser to do what you want it to do.  It is a perl
script afterall.

Read...

man adding_user

The "adding_user" man page may guide you to a solution.

New Email
If you hope to add an email address, the easiest way would be to have a
database mirror of the virtusertable for sendmail.  You can simply update
the database (and error check against) when making a request and then once
the process comes around to process the request it can output the
addresses to a text file and rebuild the dbm file which sendmail uses to
route all of the mail.

I bet you could have this going in about one days time, assuming adduser
is simple enough to modify.

Anyone on the list have any suggestions?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?