Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:42:19 +0100
From:      "Olivier Renard" <olinon.renard@virgin.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD on external Hard Disk

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD, hence this question regarding the installation of
FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an
external hard disk. I was considering buying a Maxtor One-Touch (USB and
FireWire, 80GB) to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on it. I already have Windows XP
Pro and
Fedora Core 2 installed on an Acer TravelMate 803 CLi (with Intel Centrino
chip) laptop, but to make things cleaner, I think it is better to install
FreeBSD on an external hard disk and to update the MBR on the TravelMate so
as to be able
to boot FreeBSD on the external drive.

I have searched the mailing lists on FreeBSD and searched Google, but there
does not seem to be any information on such a set-up. If anyone has any
exprerience installing FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an external hard disk (particulary
the
Maxtor HD mentioned above), your help and advice would be immensely
appreciated.

Thank you very much