Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:15:28 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Ettikan Kandasamy <ettikan@nttmsc.com.my>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCCARD Installation

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 05:43:46PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> [following up to -questions; -hardware and -hackers are not
>  appropriate for this question]
>
> On Wednesday,  7 July 1999 at 15:47:29 +0900, Ettikan Kandasamy wrote:
> >

> >      I'm trying to install 3Com Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-TX (model
> > 3CCFE575BT-D) into my Dell laptop-freeBSD 2.2.8. Could some one help me
> > with the setup/installation procedure.
> >
> > I tried modifying the GENERIC file for the kernel and /etc/pccard*
> > files. But did not succeed.
> >
> > 1) Does FreeBSD 2.2.8 has the driver for it or I need to download
> >    it. ( if no where can I download it) ?
>
> I don't know.  I don't see this particular model anywhere in our
> documentation, but it's likely that the 3C579/3C589 driver would work.
> In any case, I'd recommend you move to FreeBSD 3.2 before expending a
> lot of work on a release which is no longer supported.
>
> > 2) Is there any page gives the step by step installation guide for
> >    this purpose.  ?? Let me know.
>
> It appears that there isn't.
>
> > 3) If not how/ where to begin ??
>
> Well, I'm planning to write a chapter about mobile computing in the
> next edition of "The Complete FreeBSD", but it's not in any shape to
> show at the moment.  Basically, here's what you need to do:
>
> 1.  Build a kernel with the following device entries:
>
> # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> controller	card0
> device		pcic0	at card? irq 0
> device		pcic1	at card? irq 0
>
> 2.  Copy /etc/pccard.conf.sample to /etc/pccard.conf.
> 3.  Run pccardd (just start it).
> 4.  Insert your PCMCIA board.
> 5.  Watch the messages that appear on the console.  You'll get one of
>     these (or something like it):
>
> Jul  7 17:33:53 mojave pccardd[56962]: No card in database for "3Com
> Corporation"("3CCFE575BT-D")
>
> This message shows that pccardd has found the card, but that it
> doesn't know how to configure it.
>
> ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:97:40:fb:e1
>
> This one means that pccardd has found the card and has configured it.
>
> 6.  I think it's unlikely that the standard pccardd will recognize
>     your card, since nothing I've seen recognizes the 3CCFE575BT-D ID.
>     Look at the contents of /etc/pccard.conf.  You'll find an entry
>     like:
>
>     # 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
>     card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
> 	config	0x1 "ep0" ?
> 	insert	echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
> 	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0
> 	remove	echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
> 	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete
>
>     Change the second line of this entry to:
>
>       card "3Com Corporation" "3CCFE575BT-D"
>
>     The two strings  must be *exactly* what appeared in the console
>     message above.  Save the file, stop pccardd (kill <pid> will do
>     it) and restart it.  With any luck, pccardd should bind the driver
>     to the board, and the driver should recognize it.

The above is correct, the only minor point I would make is that ep0 device
needs to be in the kernel. If pccardd does not find your ethernet card or
can't make it work you can try explictly added the IRQ of the card like so;

    config	0x1 "ep0" 10

I found that my 3C589E need to be told what the IRQ was.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses