Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 13:40:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NE2000 problem with new kernel

Hi folks,
I just compiled and installed the latest 4.0-STABLE sources on some of my
machines. Everything worked fine, except for one thing:

On some older machine I have a NE2000 network card installed. I'm talking
about the original ISA-thing from Novell. This card has always been
working fine with the following line in the kernel configuration file:

device ed0 	at isa? port 0x300 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000

In a new kernel I compiled (using sources I cvsupped yesterday) this line
does not seem to work. The kernel compiles fine, but when trying to boot
it it hangs at the point where it should recognize the network card.

I tried several things, for instance re-jumpering my card in order to use
different IRQs and ports, but it didn't work. Looking at the LINT file I
saw that nothing has changed with the way of configuring my card. Also the
UPDATING file in /usr/src didn't say anything useful.

I'd be glad if somebody could suggest a solution. I don't expect the
FreeBSD source code to be broken, but since I don't see something has gone
wrong on my side either, I suppose that something is just not working the
way it should. So any suggestions are welcome...

Nils Holland,
nils@nightcastleproductions.org