Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:45:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        csidwell@ix22.ix.netcom.com (Charles Sidwell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Installation woes

Charles Sidwell writes:

> Greg,
>         Thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestion and, as expected, the
> keyboard was locked.  With some tinkering I managed to discover that if I
> ran the utility on the cd that prints the geography (which actually seems to
> reset something since it requires a reboot), reboot the system, then hit the
> down arrow while the kernel is loading, I usually get control of the keyboard.

Oh pain.  I think you really need to try another keyboard.

> NOW, I managed to get completely through the preinstall, but as soon as it
> ask me to select the installation media, I select CD-ROM, and the system
> tells me that there is no CD-ROM. I used the pre-install off of the CD, and
> the separate boot from floppy with the same results.
> Someone told me that there may be a problem because the CD is running off of
> an IDE interface on a SoundBlaster card. Could this be a problem?

Definitely, unless it's SCSI, which it doesn't sound like.  Other
Soundblaster CD-ROM interfaces aren't supported.

> If so, do you think that a separate ide card would help?

Maybe.  It depends on your CD-ROM.  Before you go out and buy one, try
disconnecting your first disk, connecting your 2nd disk as primary,
and the CD-ROM as secondary on the IDE interface.  If you can install
it like that, it's worth the trouble to buy another IDE interface.

> I don't have any ide interfaces available on my mother board.

But the disks are IDE, right?

Greg